6/25/09

Drink - A Cultural History

Clever readers will note a change in my "Top 5" food books - and if you are reading my blog, you must be clever - replacing the fantastic "Sauce Bible" with Iain Gately's wonderful "biography" of alcohol.
Where to start with this one? Gately goes a long way back in history - essentially to the start of recorded time - and catalogs the human love affair with liquor. He takes the reader through time right up until about 2005 (the book was published in '08, but his data stops in '05). After reading this I have a better understanding of not only history, but of human nature. I have so many good things to say about this, that I find myself at a loss for words.
Suffice it to say this is an immensely entertaining read, remarkably informative, and engrossing. It really was hard to put down. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who has ever had a drink, will have a drink, or just wants to have a drink. You can buy it here.

Speaking of which, my vacation starts today, so I think I'll have a drink myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment