3/11/09

Dessert quandry

My task today is to plan three course meals for both a vegan and a lacto/ovo vegetarian. As a confirmed carnivore, the rare meatless dishes I eat tend to have cheese on them, at least.
Finding entrees and appetizers is easy enough, there seems to be no shortage of those around, but the dessert course is proving to be rather difficult. Many of the dessert recipes online substitute margarine for butter, which I refuse to do; and a few of the “vegan” recipes use eggs. Yeah, eggs. I’m no biologist, but I’m pretty sure eggs are an animal product.

So my options seem to be serving fruit. I can’t even swing a tart, since the crust needs some sort of fat (can I use Crisco? I’m not a baker; I’ll need to do more research). That seems like a cop-out, though. If I’m going to serve vegans, I want them to be able to have a dessert that is just as decadent as those that use cream and egg yolks.

Speaking of decadent desserts, there is one local restaurant that serves a maple ice cream atop of an apricot-corn bread, and garnished with rendered bits of bacon. It is the most masculine dessert I’ve ever had. Amazing stuff. Proving conclusively that all food is made better by the addition of bacon.

1 comment:

  1. I feed my vegans dark chocolate, sometimes as bark with chopped up dried fruit and nuts if I'm feeling fancy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete