7/27/09

Kitchens in the summer

We're hitting 100+ degrees out here for the next few days. Nothing worse than working in a hot kitchen when the outside temperature is hot, too. During my last kitchen job, over the summer, the temperature on the hot line would routinely hit 120 degrees. Pretty sure that the teaching kitchens are not that hot, but never the less, after leaving the kitchen for the day, after doing dishes and cleaning, you're hot, damp, and clammy. Then you get to step out into an oven. Almost more than a person can stand.

So I've been thinking. Butcher shops and industrial meat cutting plants tend to be refrigerated throughout the entire work area - kept below 40 degrees, usually. They are pretty nice, actually. When and if I open my own place, I'm going to refrigerate my entire kitchen. It would not only be much more pleasant to work in, but it would also mitigate a lot of the food-borne illness issues you get when meat and fish sit out too long. Two birds with one stone.

I mention this in the hopes that someone sees this idea, uses it, and it spreads to all kitchens, everywhere. I hate being hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment