7/6/09

Vacation dreams

I've been on vacation the last ten days, which means that the cooking I've been doing has been the routine, feed-the-family sort of cooking. No time pressures, no worries about meeting the expectations of the chef-instructors, no stress about dealing with strange and unfamiliar ingredients. On the surface, the absence of pressure would seem to be a good thing, but as it turns out, I'm - apparently - not cut out for that lack of pressure.
The first couple of days the sleeping-in was nice, but by day three, I started having dreams. I would be in a kitchen, working furiously to complete a dish I had never done before, using instructions that were not as clear as I would have liked. I would keep waking up every time I needed to mise en place a new ingredient or move to a new task; I'd roll over and drift back to sleep, but immediately begin working on the same dish in my dream. I would do this for three or four hours, with the "dish" finally going into the oven sometime about 2 or three AM, at which point I would finally get to sleep.
Really wonder what Freud would say about that.

I'm back in the kitchen now, so I'm hoping that means I can get some sleep again. You'll start getting "regular" posts again, too, which I'm sure you'll find to be a great relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment